Tuesday, May 27, 2008

too much to ask?

As always, I have more things I'd like to write about, but this just happens to be the shortest thing on my mind:

I have a question. I'm actually asking here...no sarcasm/rhetorical question present:
Am I asking too much or expecting too much for me to want the possible beaus who email me to use correct grammar and spelling? I try not to pass judgment, I really do--but I just can't seem to get over it. No matter how cute he is (as we all judge THAT book by the cover) I can't seem to get excited about him because of the way he writes. Example 1: a guy's profile online. He's cute, but this is his "intro" paragraph. I can't get past the weather/whether debacle, or using "to" instead of "too." Oh, and his intellectual comment was the total and final turn off.

I am moving back to Atlanta this July to attend grad school. I lived in Atlanta until five years ago when I moved to Savannah where I currently live. I love living here near the ocean. Going swimming, fishing, lying out under the sun, or just walking down the beach are all things I love to do. That said I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to go to grad school. It is one of those goals I have for myself. Fortunately, I do like Atlanta, other than the traffic that is.
As for me, my passion is art and has been for a long time. I can be blunt at times, perhaps a bit to honest, and I definitely have a sarcastic sense of humor. I enjoy the outdoors weather it be the beach or the mountains. I enjoy traveling and have been to a few places in Europe, but there is so much more that I want to see. I am not much for the stereotypical bar scene. I do enjoy going out with friends and shooting some pool.
As for what I am looking for in a woman, it is fairly simple. Intelligence, because I want her to be as smart as I am (I am smart, but no brain surgeon), a good conversationalist, and a great sense of humor (hopefully you can take the sarcastic comments and give as good as you get). If you want to know more, just email me.
Ugh. And I know it's not fair--but seriously, "I am smart" doesn't really get reflected through your grammar woes, I'll tell you that much.

I think about Paulo and his abysmal handwriting, his spelling and grammar probably aren't up to my holier-than-thou standards, but he's a totally nice and great guy (more on working with him last night until like 1:30 am later...probably tomorrow--too much work to do today!) and he doesn't deserve to be judged on his handwriting alone.

I won't give the afore-quoted guy a chance because the tone of the thing is really where I'm turned off. I don't like his vibe. The search continues, I suppose.

2 comments:

Rantipole15 said...

I too tend to judge people by their spelling, puctuation, and grammar. Maybe not their personalities, but definitely their intelligence. Not always--for instance, Katie doesn't capitalize in her blog, but I know that it's intentional so it doesn't bother me. Plus she can still construct a sentence which is more important to me.

The Spicy Chickadee said...

You both make me laugh so hard. I probably should give capital letters a go again. :)