Tuesday, May 20, 2008

p.s. I love you

No seriously, best film I've seen in a long time. I mean, I saw Baby Mama (I'm sorry Jana! I was with Jay Dempsey and with his gay charm he made me see it with him even though I said I'd go with you!) last week, but that's different.

I rented this movie because I am a hopeless romantic. I love romantic comedies. For a long time I hid that part of myself. I hid under the pretenses that I only enjoyed weird, avant garde films. Artsy films. Indie films. And I would shun blockbusters. Well, I do still shun blockbusters, but only because I'm just not into them. I've never seen one Indiana Jones movie and don't plan on seeing the new one. I've only seen two Star Wars movies, under the supervision of others, and I can't name them. I enjoyed them, sure. I appreciate what they mean for so many--they're just not my cup of tea. I will watch any movie, sure. Bo once convinced me I needed to see Jackass and I really enjoyed it (so dumb!). He also turned me on to The Transporter--I've found I really enjoy dumb action films (come on, XXX with Vin Diesel is a work of art--art, you know, like the kind that elephant that can paint makes). Anyway. I do like an occasional documentary, will watch avant garde and indie films if I get the chance, but if you ever catch me at the movie rental store, you will most likely find me renting something sappy. Now, it may be in a foreign language and be an indie release, but still--there is some sort of love story. I just enjoy them.

So I rented p.s. I Love You Saturday night. I saw an ad for it and I like, nay, LOVE Jeffrey Dean Morgan (you know him--he was Denny on Grey's Anatomy!)--talk about ultimate Fridge candidate! I'm a sucker for beards. Man oh man.

Well, so, I won't ruin the movie for anyone--but good Lord I haven't cried that much in a movie in a long long time. Now, I was pretty darn tired and groggy when I watched it--but still, what a cute and poignant film! I really liked Hilary Swank and thought she portrayed the emotion she was supposed to portray with a reality that is rarely seen in films. Oh, and Lisa Kudrow is hilarious as is Harry Connick, Jr. although I don't think he's supposed to be. So, ladies, either ditch your various boys and alternative lifestyle lovers, and watch this one on your own--or drag him (or her, whatever) through it too--but it's the ultimate chick flick. And boys: rent this one. It'll gain you some points. And you just might enjoy yourself.

I also rented Lars and The Real Girl. Ryan Gosling (yeah, THAT Ryan Gosling) plays Lars...a guy that has a hard time with reality and falls in love with a life-size doll. The creators of the film did their job...I was so damn connected to that doll that when she "dies" I was so sad!

But back to the point...back to what you sick people come here for:

Right, to the Block Party. Here are some photos:
Neighborhood Block Party

My church is in the very heart of downtown Atlanta and the neighborhood is pretty rough--and we're there to show even the lowest of the low that there is hope. It was a great afternoon. The music was terrific, the hotdogs and popcorn were totally appropriate and I met a lot of excellent people.

Speaking of excellent people, I shall highlight two boys. (Jessie, thanks for coming! You and Nicki were definitely a joy to be around...I'm not trying to downplay your importance...but my public must know about these boys!)

First highlighted boy: Officer Aaron Z. We had hired two police officers to just be present during our party--they ate and drank lemonade with us--you know, when people see cops acting like normal people in a peaceful setting, it kind of helps the perception of having them in the neighborhood. Well, when Aaron walked up, his partner had yet to arrive. And he's got these adorable puppy dog blue eyes and so I introduced myself and welcomed him to our party. We just chatted and then that was that. Half-way into the bands playing, I went back over to he and his partner just to thank them again for their time and just to chat. Anyway, they tell me cop stories of the neighborhood and then Aaron tells me about his apartment he has to live in because he can't live in his house. Apparently when he bought his house the basement was covered in black mold, but the seller didn't disclose it. So, after living there for a year his dog (I know! boys and dog stories get me every time) got really sick--and that's when they found the mold. He had to send his dog back home to Michigan (wait, Paulo's from Michigan...weird.). So, he was really into this salsa band that was playing (the keyboard/trumbone player of said band is Featured Boy #2) and went and got their info once the evening was done. Apparently his house is almost ready to be lived in again and he wants to have a luau, with the salsa band (Grogus). And he turned to me, with his very official police man business card and said, "Hey, why don't you come to my luau too?" So, I think after one night, I've been invited to this man's home for salsa music and hopefully a pig on a spit. I like my dinner being cooked over open flame. It's just more fun that way. And no, I haven't called him yet. I just don't think he's what I'm looking for--although we were in mid-story when the band started playing Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) and he stopped mid-sentence and turned away from us and toward the stage and said over his shoulder, "Now that's a good song." I don't think he has Jesus residing in his heart--but I think he's open to it. Maybe I can be his grandma too.

That's actually an excellent idea.

Boy #2 is a lot more of a sticky situation. I just realized that Boy #2 (might as well name him his real name, Kevin) is the brother-in-law of the guy that I'm friends with at church--the guy that plays the drums and the guy that is leading the boys' Chrysalis weekend the week before mine in September. Greg reads my blog from time to time. So, Greg, I have to be honest: I really had a hard time deciding on whether or not to write any of this at all. And then I decided: it's my blog (and I can cry if I want to, cry if I want to). I don't mean to put people in weird situations or write about things that alienate my friends. But this blog is somewhere where I can vent and tell people exactly what's going on in my head. So, here goes.

Greg, I think your brother-in-law is a super swell guy. He's quiet, kind of shy, a super-de-duper talented musician, and he's a diehard Braves fan. I think it says a lot about a man's character that loves a team that consistently lets him down. He and I actually "officially" met earlier in the day, and chatted a couple of times throughout the afternoon--but the real conversation started when the stage was being deconstructed. I mentioned how I was planning on going to the Braves game the night previous (man! I should have bought tickets for Paulo and I...) and how I was almost stuck with some tickets--and the leader of the praise band (Adam, with whom I went to high school) had told me of Kevin's love and dedication to the Braves--and I was going to call him up just so they wouldn't go to waste. Kevin's eyes certainly lit up at that--"Oh, you should have! If I ever don't have a gig and I'm in town, I'm at the stadium. I've been to six games already this season." That's when he gave me HIS card. And told me let him know the next time I wanted to go to a game. So, really, I didn't get these guys cards along with a promise that they want to love me forever...as I told Jessie, it's just because guys feel comfortable around me. I'm a friendly person and non-threatening. But Kevin and I spoke of his love of Athens (a town in Georgia where the University of Georgia is...and it has a huge music scene: REM, Of Montreal, the B-52's, Matthew Sweet, Widespread Panic, Neutral Milk Hotel, Drive-by Truckers, etc.), I told him about Rebuilt (also in Athens) and how he can't decide if he wants to move there because that's where he went to school and he has lots of friends and fans there (he's a very accomplished musician...you wouldn't know it talking to him, I just know if from the other guys in the band and Greg--he's been on tour with Widespread Panic, about to go on another national tour) or if he should live somewhere that might be a challenge (in my head: I've always wanted to be with a musician, I like the way they see the world and I certainly love Athens, but I digress)--anyway, we have this music thing in common, and the biggest: this Jesus thing in common, and he's nerdy and I like that. He's into praise music. I like Fridge, but I have a soft spot for Nerd too (I'll attach a picture of my senior prom date who is an excellent friend...and I may or may not have had a crush on him senior year (this is us Dec 2006))--he's the guy in the hat, not the Latino waiter:
So, there are several pictures of this Kevin individual in my Block Party photo album...so as it stands we're just baseball and church friends...but since my heart's been transformed into being not so much a love interest, but a life interest in Paulo...well, I'm on the fence as to whether I want to weather having a real interest in this guy. It's a precarious fence that I could be tipped off of at any point...but as of right now, all I want to do is pray and not get my heart mangled any more than it is the Lord's will for it to be.

I'm optimistic. I have a hope that is indefatigable. I'm resilient. And I know that the Lord guides my every step and one of these days my uncontainable passion that I expend on boys will be spent on the right boy and it'll all be worth it.



But until then, I appreciate everyone's prayers and support...And in two hours I'll be face to face with my grandson Paulo.

Should be a very interesting night indeed.

1 comment:

Rantipole15 said...

I was very glad to get your text last night, since I'd been worrying and hoping your night wasn't going too awkwardly ever since you called!

Very interesting boy developments. The drama never ceases, right? I like Piano Boy!