Thursday, May 22, 2008

no seriously, one of the coolest things ever

so most of you know (or you should!) that I can't live or breath without music. the purchase of my iPod was one of the best decisions I've ever made. When I get the chance, I'm out enjoying live music. I purchase WAY too much music through iTunes. I have my iPod connected in my car, in my house, everywhere. I don't go anywhere without turning some kind of music on (and sometimes NPR)--I need the sound. I don't like just sitting quietly. I want to hear something.

Ok, so with that said, there's this show on NPR called All Songs Considered. I find a lot of the new and upcoming music I listen to from this show. Well, the show's creators (Bob Boilen (host) and Robin Hilton) have this blog I subscribe to. And yesterday's blog blew me out of the water.


There's this application you can download for your iTunes. It's a concert visualizer, iConcertCal.

It takes all of the artists in your iTunes and tells you when any of them are in concert anywhere near your city. No seriously. The coolest thing I've experienced in a long time.

Part of the blog Robin Hilton talks about not knowing out Highway to the Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins got in his iTunes and is pretty much mortified that it's there. And he's even more disturbed that Kenny Loggins is in concert soon near DC.

So I scrolled through my own iConcertCal and was pretty pleased (this week in Atlanta: Abigail Washburn, Kate Walsh, She Wants Revenge, James Taylor, Amy Lavere, Nada Surf (I think I might try to make that show), Mary Gauthier and The Packway Handle Band).

And then Sunday, July 13 rolled around and I cringed. LeAnn Rimes is apparently playing at Turner Field. And then the worst thought is, "Why is LeAnn Rimes in my iTunes?" And then I remembered: I have the Coyote Ugly soundtrack. It's true. And I actually like it. And her contribution to it isn't that bad, so I take that cringe back. I, however, will not be going to that particular Braves game where it'll be LeAnn Rimes, Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Chesney, all with, get this, SAMMY HAGAR (you know, of Van Halen fame). Apparently they're all doing this show together after the Braves game that Sunday. That's disturbing.


Ok, enough about that. Paulo and I had a lovely, lovely, lovely night but I don't have time to write about it now because I was late to work and a little behind. More later!

No comments: