Thursday, June 12, 2008

widespread panic, really?

So, my friend Kevin left today (I'm assuming it is today) to head to Bonnaroo. Now, he's not like Paulo who's just going up for one night (the Pearl Jam and Metallica night, obviously--more on this in a moment).

Kevin is headed to Bonnaroo to play with some serious acts. Not little-de-dittle local bands. He's about to play piano/keyboards/organ for Derek Trucks (blues guitar prodigy, the nephew of Butch Trucks--the drummer and co-founder of the Allman Brothers Band. Being two years older than me, he has already been ranked #81 in Rolling Stones' 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. That's no small feat. He's touring with Santana now. Also in Feb. 2008 he was on the cover of Rolling Stone (with John Mayer--GROSS) as a New Guitar God. Anyway, I'm not trying to be this guy's PR lady--I'm just trying to shed some light on what a serious gig this is for Kevin. Thanks Wikipedia.)

Oh, the second act he's playing with is this little-known band out of Athens, GA. You may have never heard of them, their name is Widespread Panic. No seriously. Widespread Panic. Kevin is about to play with Widespread Panic at one of the biggest music festivals that jam bands could dream of. Wow. I haven't known Kevin long, but I am seriously proud of him. I'm proud of him for being a musician that these people want to play with them when they tour.

Oh, and did I mention he loves Jesus? Just a sidenote.

My whole point of this blog is this: I decided this morning (before I dropped my iPod in a glass of water...I'm trying to see if it'll dry out right now) that in my head I hate Widespread Panic. In my head I hate jam bands. But I don't really know their music. So I hopped on over to the Widespread website this morning, I launched the music player, and listened to the 8-minute track they have posted. And it doesn't suck. Am I going to go buy their albums? Probably not. But I will give them a little more credit. They are indeed amazing musicians...I just feel like since I don't drink and I don't smoke pot (or even grow it for that matter) I'm not getting the full experience. Any band that has to put this on their website:
The sale of nitrous oxide is strictly prohibited. N2O cuts off the flow of oxygen to your brain. Countless medical emergencies occur from it, including death. If you purchase N2O you are likely supporting people who care nothing about the Panic community. While state to state the laws covering Nitrous Oxide vary, there are clear mandates by the Food & Drug Administration under the Health & Cosmetics act that address distribution and they will be enforced on our tours.

Is maybe not the best band for me. But I'll give them a shot. And they've been around for as long as I've been alive, they must be doing something right.

My iPod is officially dead. I'm trying to get it to dry out because my friend who works for Apple said if it dries out I might be able to get a new one as mine is still under warranty. This is not looking likely--so I guess I'm going to have to go buy a new one! My iPod has become an essential part of my life--and just like you'd get your car fixed if it broke down, I must get a new music-making device. And that's just the truth.


So, Paulo. Paulo told me last night that he's headed to Bonnaroo for just one night (Saturday) so he can see Pearl Jam. I was thinking he was a huge Pearl Jam fan because it'll take some serious dedication to get to Manchester, TN from Atlanta and then just getting into the muddy, tent-covered fields of the festival site is going to be a challenge. He then said he's not even that big a fan of Pearl Jam. He just really likes Eddie Vedder's work on the Into the Wild soundtrack. I am not even kidding. He's trekking all the way out of town just hoping that Vedder will play one single solitary song that was in a movie soundtrack. Good luck with that Paulo.

Paulo had me proofread some notes he had written last night. They were GHASTLY. I really do think he's dyslexic. Lots of inverted letters and use of the word "then" when he means "than" and other such craziness. He even admitted that he's so bad at writing that he hopes that maybe he can get through the next promotion (he'd be a First Mate...sounds exciting, doesn't it?) without anyone noticing. Poor guy. That's got to be a terrible burden to know that you have so many thoughts in your head and you can state them--but the moment you have to write them (or in this case type them in COMIC SANS, I kid you not. I gagged several times.) everything just gets garbled up. I tried to be positive and not dwell on how bad it was. He really is a nice guy and I truly do want to be a friend he can count on. Oh! I meant to write this yesterday: Paulo, on Tuesday night, was wearing elastic-waisted pants. I kid you not. The kind of khaki shorts that old men that play shuffleboard would wear. I just glimpsed it and I told my friend Maggie (my 2nd mom at work) and she didn't believe me so as he was reaching for something a little later she got right behind him, bent over, and peered up his shirt at his waistband! She's a small lady, so she wasn't that obvious, but I burst out laughing (migraine or not, that was funny). She declared, "I've consulted Snopes.com and they have confirmed it!" Then the rest of the night was laughter on K-Mart and Blue Light Specials (as we can imagine you would find such pants at such retailers such as K-Mart).

Ugh, since I'll be out of work tomorrow (here we come Birmingham and the lesser-known music festival this weekend, City Stages, and our boys Jon and Micah that are playing!), I should get the stack of work on my desk done.

There might be a new blog coming soon...it'll be all about me and my quest to lose 120 pounds in 16 months. More later!

1 comment:

Rantipole15 said...

That really cool about Kevin! And really funny about Paulo's elastic-waisted pants.