Thursday, June 19, 2008

lunch!

So I got my goodies for my biking friends and decided to head back to the office for my free lunch of a burger, beans, and potato salad. I've been eating pretty healthy these days and so it wasn't a bad treat.

I had to walk amongst the spectacle to get to the food. There was bad karoke to Carrie Underwood songs and I heard, "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" being belted out. The dressed up Elvis, SpiderMan and Iron Man were just walking around--I'm not really sure what they were doing.

But I DO know there were four "tents" that had very long lines. I couldn't tell what people were in line for. And then I figured it out.












At my company picnic there were four tents with TAROT CARD READERS reading people's cards. Seriously. I kid you not.

Well, I came inside and downloaded some videos from La Blogotheque--it's this French filmmaker (hence the site being in French), Vincent Moon, and he films bands performing on the streets of Paris, in parks, in people's homes, on the subway, etc. He calls them Les Concerts a Emporter (The Take Away Shows). I love them and the whole concept. Today I downloaded Bon Iver's six videos, the ones from REM that were filmed in Athens, GA and they are pretty cool--I also watched some older videos from Jose Gonzalez, A Silver Mount Zion and Tralala Band, Okkervil River (love!), and rewatched the videos from Architecture in Helsinki.

Have a lovely afternoon, my friends.

From Stasi Eldredge in she and her husband's book Captivating:

I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up, a feeling of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman I've ever met feels it--something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling of failing at who she is. I am not enough, and, I am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is Shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heels, feeding on our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone.
...
Aware of our deep failings, we pour contempt on our own hearts for wanting more. Oh, we long for intimacy and for adventure; we long to be the Beauty of some great story. But the desires set deep in our hearts seem like a luxury, granted only to those women who get their acts together. The message to the rest of us--whether from a driven culture or a driven church--is try harder.
So, my friends--here is my prayer for ourselves, the women around us, our friends and family and those men who love us: let us let the Lord work through what we feel to the core of ourselves. We were born this complicated mess of feelings and passions and we can't always figure out what's going on--but the heart of a woman is deep and is something to be treasured. We were made in the image of God and who am I to say my image is wrong? He created it for a reason, so let us revel in it!

No comments: