Thursday, June 19, 2008

in a moment of panic, there is clarity.

So, I was about a centimeter away from making my blog private this morning.

Not that I'm ashamed of one letter I have written, not one word--for I'm being real, and honest, and exceptionally girly---but I realized just how OPEN my blog is, how anyone in the world can access it. And anyone includes PB's sister.

So, if you've figured out that you are indeed PB's sister, welcome to my blog.

I don't really know you very well, especially not since I've been an "adult." I know your husband quite well and I thank God for him. He's a true friend. He described himself to me as being an-older-but-not-your-parent-adult friend and he sure has kept his end of this friendship alive and well.

And I like your brother. There. I said it. From what I know of him he's a great guy, he's humble and talented and funny. I would like to get to know him better--if nothing else, then to make a great friend. So if you feel the need to discuss it with him, then by all means.

Hey, PB, if you're reading this, well, you're welcome too. I don't mean to write with such a passion as to scare people off...that's just who I am. I'm passionate and everything I do is big and I get caught up in things. It's what I do and it's fun. I used to apologize for being "too much," but as I've been learning through a lot of praying and reading lately--that's what makes me the woman I am. I am "too much." I have all of this passion for a reason, and I'm not going to tell God he's ill-equipped me and then not use what I've been given. So if you're freaked out by my voracity for life, then I guess you're not the one (the one, the one, the one) for me. And if you find it endearing, well, then, let's get this show on the road!

So there, now that I've got that off my chest, let's discuss what's going on at my day job today: we were called into a meeting on Monday where we were told our new CEO (age: 35) is coming down to our floor between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. on Thursday (today). He's apparently going to be going around to ask us "what we do." Seriously. We were told what we could and could not wear (as today is our corporate picnic and such days are generally casual...but this year's poster said it's conservative casual, whatever that means) and we're not to be wearing any t-shirts, and if we're wearing shorts they have to come to our knees and must be hemmed properly and no flip-flops and our desk must be clean, but still have papers on it to look like we're busy and we have to have answers prepared just in case he asks us personally what we do. Umm, pardon me? I need to have a prepared statement explaining what I do? I think I know what I do without having to look at an index card.

Why do we have to pretend? Everything down here is not hunky-dorry. It's not. People are not happy, we can't tell our supervisors and managers anything in confidence, we get stepped on if someone else needs to advance and we often get thrown under the bus for someone else's glory. There are even tattle-tales about the dumbest of things. But it's a job and it's a job I'm good at. So I'm not leaving, I just don't want to have to pretend that it's a dream land. It's a corporate job. And I enjoy being employed.

Oh, and it was suggested that maybe I should wear some makeup today. Seriously. That phrase was uttered by someone higher up in the chain. I looked at the person and said, "That is so inappropriate I can't even comprehend. I think I'll just forget you said anything." She had the decency to blush and apologize and then leave the situation. And we left it at that.

But at least it's Thursday! Hip Hip Hooray!

Oh, and my friends Jen, Jonathan, and Carrie are biking across the country for charity (with their awesome van driver Autumn) and they have a blog with some pictures. If you have time, check it out and support them with your prayers and maybe a little cash.

I also have a friend named Greg. He plays drums at my church--but anyway, he's in the middle of a week-long ride across the north Georgia mountains. He's riding a bike with all his gear attached. It's a pretty amazing feat and journey he's on, and he's got a blog too.

So, enjoy. And I welcome all the readers that I don't know are there.

1 comment:

Rantipole15 said...

I love Jon and Jen's blog. Their stories and pictures make me jealous but happy!

Also, I have never had Too Much Anna, and I don't think I ever will.

Your #1 Royal Reader,
Bep