Monday, April 28, 2008

"You have the youngest voice on the phone..."

Ok, so I have a lot of experience with voiceovers and all kinds of vocal work (either through theater, singing, voice work for film, etc.) and I've always been complimented on my tonal quality. I apparently have a voice people enjoy listening to. I mean, not when I'm cackling and being obnoxious, of course, but when I try to sound soothing, I pull it off pretty well.

Until today.


I called TJ's because we're having a tasting party tonight after the store closes. We have these tasting parties once every couple of months when we release this mass mailer with new items and old favorites in it. It's called product knowledge and we have a good time. I called TJ's because I am usually the one that prepares most of the food for the tasting party because for whatever reason I was thrust into that role. Anyway, I called to ask if indeed I was cooking tonight and our new merchant (yes, we use nautical themes) Paulo (ok, that's not his name, but I'm trying to not get too specific here...it IS the world wide web after all) answered the phone. I have officially worked one shift with him and I think he is a certifiable dreamboat. Serious dreamboat.

He's not a Fridge candidate exactly (oh, if you don't know the Fridge equation, well, that's a whole other post), but he's 6' something, shaved head, adequately muscled (I'm a sucker for the calves!) and during that one shift and other passing-of-the-ships-at-night encounters he makes me laugh. So he answered the phone today all jovial and fun and so I laughed and was like, "Hey Paulo, it's Anna. And I enjoyed your greeting." He asked me to clarify who I was. So I did. And then I asked him if I was cooking tonight, his response was yes. And then he said the kicker of all kickers. "You totally sound like your 16 on the phone. Like, 16 and chewing bubble gum." I told him that I promise I'm 26. "No, you have a 16-year-old voice on the phone, not in person, but on the phone. And I'm creeped out that I'm fascinated by it. Shit, I have to go."



Seriously. This just happened. I love it. I love that I flustered him. Ha! I have more to write in a moment about RENT, Mary Mac's, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, The Earl, and an orange house on Little Street.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh, paulo. i think he could be the one. :D